[LMB] OT: Practice for terraforming Beta Colony on Earthly deserts.

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Mon Jun 21 11:03:10 BST 2021

> On Jun 21, 2021, at 12:14 AM, Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Part of the switch from agriculture to nomadic hunter-gatherer was driven by mass deaths from European-introduced diseases. When a large chunk of the population dies suddenly, non-industrialized agriculture becomes a *lot* harder due to a lack of labor. And then there's the fact that nomadic hunter-gatherers spend much less time and effort working than farmers do. Agriculture allows for a lot more people per acre, and it's more stable, but it's also a lot harder work. If your population drops ... sometimes transitioning away from agriculture makes better sense.

Most of the time of Modern Humans was spent as hunter gatherers and farming cultures experience
famines and plagues. Higher density allows for the faster spread of pathogens. Not to mention our
current binge on endocrine disrupters and other types of pollution.

Stable our :civilization is not.

And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

—
“That which doesn’t make us stronger kills us.”