[LMB] OT: Practice for terraforming Beta Colony on Earthly deserts.

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Mon Jun 21 11:20:52 BST 2021

> On Jun 21, 2021, at 1:33 AM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My apologies for hijacking the thread topic.
>
> I'm afraid I don't have much hope for greening deserts, since we're
> creating them much faster than we can possibly repair them.
> <https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-really-turned-sahara-desert-green-oasis-wasteland-180962668/ <https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-really-turned-sahara-desert-green-oasis-wasteland-180962668/>>
> In some senses, we're living in the Singularity - our very distant
> ancestors could never have imagined the world they ended up creating for
> us.  Which is the problem.
>
> Matt G.

Basically we have genes for the hunter gatherer lifestyle. Hunter gatherers are probably
smarter than us, they have to know intimately all the flora and fauna in their area and
farming well you just do what everybody else does and genes for immunity are more
important that those for smarts as the population is denser and pathogens find more
opportunities to spread.

Smarts can get you in trouble with the local authorities.

—
Sig intentionally left blank.