[LMB] OT: Practice for terraforming Beta Colony on Earthly deserts.

Pouncer pouncer at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 17:58:59 BST 2021

Matthew George said last week, Tue Jun 15

 > Colonize the Sahara, Gobi, Antarctica, and the continental
 > shelves.  Then talk to me about space.

Matt George said, this week, Mon Jun 21

 > I'm afraid I don't have much hope for greening deserts, since
 > we're creating them much faster than we can possibly repair them.

It seems to me that Matt is unafflicted by either hope, or similar
hobgoblins of little minds.

Antarctica  while technically a desert as defined by the annual
amount of rain, (although oddly in defiance of ARCTIC ice pack
trends and Global Climate Models, the amount of retained ice on
the continent seems to be increasing lately...) the South Pole
is not usually considered to be a desert in the traditional
use of the term, nor included in the common lists of such
places. No sand, no cactus, no oasis...  Perhaps, Matt,
you might make a distinction among examples of last week's
list and we can talk about colonizing there? (In prelude
to discussions of colonizing cold locations in outer space?)
How would we go about making Kyril Island more productive, for
instance?

Or would anyone care to start a thread on under(shallow) sea
colonies?

[ I'm trying out a new "sig" line.  What do you think of
this Bujold quote?]

--
Now, there's this about cynicism, Sergeant. It's the universe's most
supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then

https://www.avg.com