[LMB] OT: A PSA

Rebecca Price becca7108 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 22:50:03 BST 2021

We just had a sudden death in my family. The specifics don't matter for
this PSA; what does matter is that she died intestate, without a will or
any sense of what she wanted done with her belongings or her body. All she
did was make arrangements for who would take care of her dog if she died.
She'd been in poor health, but just never quite got around to things..

I know it feels morbid, but please, please get at least a will made up, and
a medical power of attorney. Make a list of who should be notified in case
of your death. We're having to reconstruct my relative's life from her
Facebook friends list. The day has been spent frantically calling and
emailing people, and my brother is going to have to go to a strange city
and state to deal with a bureaucratic mess.

Even if you live alone - *especially* if you live alone - get this stuff
set up in advance. Your friends will appreciate it.

--
Half of what we call madness is just some poor slob dealing with pain by a
strategy that annoys the people around him - Lois McMaster Bujold