[LMB] General rules for Governments

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 01:25:04 BST 2021

Children aren't assets in modern societies.  Child labor laws generally
make that impossible.  Even with family businesses or farms, children can't
contribute enough to even begin to recoup the expenses of raising them, and
they generally aren't receiving apprentice-level training in the future
career.  Even though we're running out of people to fill skilled
blue-collar positions, virtually no one takes over a trade from their
parents.

It's an aspect of Barrayar's changing nature which doesn't come up much in
the novels.  I suppose because the most obvious effects are mostly over and
done with by the time of the stories, and Barrayar's relative
underpopulation means culture still favors children.  Its society benefits
from more people, even when the benefits to individual families have ended.

Matt G.