[LMB] panel discussion of The Curse of Chalion

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 03:36:35 BST 2021

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 6:57 PM Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought the Bastard's Day tended to replace the Mother's Day - except in
> Quadrene areas, where it was associated with the Father's Day instead.

The date mentioned for the Bastard's festival is not the Mother's Day
(which would be the summer solstice), but "Mother's Midsummer", which is
evidently equidistant between the summer solstice and autumnal equinox.
Presumably "Father's Midwinter" is similarly equidistant between the winter
solstice (Father's Day) and vernal equinox (Daughter's Day).

How our culture ended up calling the summer solstice "Midsummer" and "the
first day of summer" *at the same time* is what mystifies me.

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>