[LMB] Bastard's Day

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 11:11:51 BST 2021

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

On this day, since it's just after Father's Day, I should mention that one
thing that would turn my mild-mannered-as-Clark-Kent father "from Jekyll to
Hyde in .05 seconds" was people picking on those who'd been born
illegitimately.   For that matter, both my parents felt that way.
Mom just thought it was stupid and cruel to pick on people for something
that wasn't their fault, while Dad had been raised by his aunt (his mother
had died when he was six months old) and her illegitimate daughter, who
were jointly "mothers" to him.  He took that sort of nonsense very
personally.

Gwynne: When I was growing up it was a combination of 'Don't ask, don't tell'
and 'Everyone knows but we just don't say'. There were a few families where the
mother had a rather late-in-life child, and also had a teenage daughter. Everyone
knew, but it wasn't held against any of them, it was just a neat way for the family
to solve a little difficulty. Stuff happens.

I know that in the past it was seen as a serious social problem (We even have a
tragic family ghost story about that one), but mostly people were pretty
pragmatic.