[LMB] panel discussion of The Curse of Chalion

Brad Jones brad at kazrak.com
Tue Jun 22 17:03:31 BST 2021

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 8:57 AM Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 20:36:35 -0600, Margaret Dean <margdean56 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >How our culture ended up calling the summer solstice "Midsummer" and "the
> >first day of summer" *at the same time* is what mystifies me.
>
> Short answer; it depends. :)
>

> https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/seasons/summer/when-does-summer-start

I'm fond of using the meteorological definitions of the seasons, because
they're the ones that actually make sense on the ground.  (By which count,
summer here started three weeks ago, which meshes with reality quite
well.)  I really do not understand why people get so obsessed with the
astronomical seasons when describing the weather.