[LMB] panel discussion of The Curse of Chalion

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 17:58:21 BST 2021

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 10:28 AM Brad Jones <brad at kazrak.com> wrote:

> I'm fond of using the meteorological definitions of the seasons, because
> they're the ones that actually make sense on the ground.  (By which count,
> summer here started three weeks ago, which meshes with reality quite
> well.)  I really do not understand why people get so obsessed with the
> astronomical seasons when describing the weather.

Meteorological seasons work fine when you're describing a limited land area
(e.g. a moderate-sized country, or a U.S. state). They work less well when
you want a consistent system for a significant portion of a continent (e.g.
the USA as a whole). I suspect that's why the U.S. tends to use
astronomical seasons, which occur at the same time in Alaska, Hawaii,
Florida and Maine.

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>