[LMB] OT: A PSA

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Jun 22 19:07:29 BST 2021

On 6/22/21 10:18 AM, Mark Goldfield wrote:
> My wife and I have been executors for 2 estates, and helped several friends with others, and it is much more complicated if there are any assets that are not covered by a will or a designated beneficiary.

Some advice for others who end up as executors for an estate: You do not
have to do all of it yourself. You can pay, or have the estate pay a law
firm to handle it, or just parts of it, for you. Their staff will get
the 15 notarized copies, find the lost documents, deal with the nagging
debt collectors, etc.

If you're making a will you may want to consider this up front. Instead
of asking an already grieving relative to handle your affairs, make
arrangements with a lawyer or law firm to be your executor.

Choose one you can trust of course. It can be easy for a lawyer to spend
any existing assets on the lawyer's fees.

Oh yeah, and some advice unrelated to lawyers: Use a password manager
for your Internet passwords. Write down the password for that and put it
in a sealed envelope in a bank box or with a trusted person. Encrypt it
if you think they will remember to "Add two to every number." Also write
down your smart phone's PIN code so they can get into your two-factor
accounts, if you use your phone for that.

Having all of the accounts and access credentials at hand is easy
instead of going through the extremely tedious process of unlocking them
through tech support calls. And then there's the accounts that get very
sticky about access after death, like e-books and Steam games. Some of
these accounts are "not transferable" but the companies don't seem to
care if the account continues to be used by someone else as long as no
one rubs their face in a death certificate forcing them to close the
account.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil