[LMB] LMB] OT: terminology, Practice for terraforming

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:33:11 BST 2021

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 14:59:28 -0400 (EDT), alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2021, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
>> First Nations.   Is that in use in the USA?
>> Besides, I'm a native American, in the same way that a Frenchwoman born in
>> France is a native Frenchwoman.
> In Canada, the term is "Indigenous" or "First Nations".
>
> Both are accurate and avoid unfortunate connotations.
>
> Alayne
Actually, First Nations as currently used in Canada does not include
either the Inuit or the Metis. Inuit spread through the far North, west
to east from northeast Asia, seems to have happened  much later than the
First Nations waves of settlement, if I recall the anthropology theories
correctly. And the Metis nation have origins in historical times ...
indeed some of them are my remote cousins, through my furtrading French
settler forebears. So the correct inclusive term is currently Indigenous
with a capital I.