[LMB] ListBiz: How is everyone doing?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 05:06:39 BST 2021

> On Jun 22, 2021, at 19:07, Rebecca Price <becca7108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My sister died suddenly last week; we found out about it yesterday. I spent
> all day chasing down the various relatives and notifying them. There's
> still a bunch of people I need to contact, but at least my brother is
> handling all the legal and bureaucratic stuff. Still, I'm exhausted. The
> grief is beginning to hit.

Gwynne: I'm so sorry for your loss, Rebecca.

We've just finished sorting out my mother's estate. She did have a will, and it made
things much simpler and easier. I know someone whose husband died intestate, and
she and her children lost out on a lot because of it, and it made things so much more
difficult for them, at an already bad time.

Some years ago I was at a fundraiser for a local preschool. They auctioned off some
donated items, including a local solicitor's offer to do wills for two people. The
auctioneer asked anyone who didn't have a will to stand - and I was shocked at the
number of people who stood up. Most of them were parents of young children - it's
terrible to think what would happen if the parents were killed in a car accident.

It's such a simple thing to do, you can get a basic format online or buy a form, get
it done, and it's all sorted. A kindness for those who'll have to sort things out.