[LMB] 5GU holy days recapped

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Wed Jun 23 05:37:37 BST 2021

 On Jun 22, 2021, at 6:24 PM, Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold <mailto:lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> Beatrice Otter:
> The question is, how much do the gods need/care about being worshiped or respected? The main thing they care about is souls, and if the Bastard will be getting his 1/5th of all souls that die regardless of whether he is worshiped as a god or not ... then they may not care much about quintarianism vs. quadrenism.

---- On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 20:57:13 -0700 WalterStuartBushell <mailto:proto at panix.com> wrote ----
AFAIK there is no texev that the deities share of souls are even. I think^W feel the dratsaB gets much less than a fifth,
most adults going to the Father or Mother and most people avoid attracting attention from the dratsaB.

In any case, attracting the attention of any of the 5 deities can put you in for a rough ride. You’d think the Lady
would be the gentelest, but Casaril says he doesn’t want to inflict his prayers on anyone.

Beatrice Otter:

Quote from "The Orphans of Raspay"

Lencia swallowed and said, “The demon god isn’t allowed to sign at a Quadrene funeral.”

“A fifth of the time, that ought to be a problem."

So, according to Penric, the Bastard gets 1/5 of all souls, even in Quadrene lands. Also, why would you think the Lady would be the gentlest? Young girls and women can be absolutely *vicious*. And feral. It's just less socially acceptable than for boys to be such, so it tends to get hidden/covered over. Which only gives it time to ferment.

Beatrice Otter