[LMB] [OT] Atlantic crossings, was Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 05:46:15 BST 2021

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 11:51:31 +0200, markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote,
inter alia:

> On 22.06.2021 02:32, Matthew George wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 3:44 AM Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <
>> lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]

>> The Romans didn't have the tech to cross the Atlantic, and if they'd
>> somehow managed it,
> that is very much debateable. Thor Heyerdahl showed that pre-roman Egypt
> would have had the necessary tech for a one way crossing of the atlantic
>
>> they would have been a horror.
> yes - mostly for the illnesses they would have brought with them ..
>
> otoh they most likely would not have been able to exploit the "window of
> opportunity" opened by these illnesses

We know that medieval Norsemen from Iceland managed it; the lack in
their case was sufficient political organisation to reinforce the few
settlements - maybe only one - in Newfoundland. Their knorrs were better
adapted to the North Atlantic than Roman cargo ships would have been.
But they were weeks of sea time away from Greenland, more weeks away
from Iceland, and even more weeks away from their old homeland in Norway
which was being ravaged by internecine war off and on for at least a
century.

I can imagine a cohort of legionary troops in 10 or 15 knerrir, but the
chances of all of them making the voyage intact are next to nil.