[LMB] [OT] Atlantic crossings, was Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

baur baur baur at chello.at
Wed Jun 23 19:58:31 BST 2021


> Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> hat am 23.06.2021 19:56 geschrieben:
> 
>  
> ---- On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 06:49:17 -0700 Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote ----
> 
> How did Roman ships in their heyday compare to the later Viking ships? Of course, the Vikings had a much easier route, island-hopping all the way. It doesn't show on a Mercator map, but get one centered on the North Pole, and it stands out strongly. 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Beatrice Otter:
> 
> Roman ships were mostly built to travel the Mediterranean, which is a much calmer sea than the Atlantic Ocean.

true for about 80% of the time - the other 20% it can be very rough .. and given the nature of many of its storm (katabtic storms) warning times can be a lot shorter than on the atlantic 

also notice that atlantic =| atlantic. the north atlantic and adjactent seas can be very rough (the germann epitath is Nordsee ist Mordsee /north sea is murder sea)- the south atlantic generally is a lot calmer .. (and there advatages to catching a storm way out at sea - no stones to run into) 

> You could build a ship that was big and fairly flimsy and didn't handle very well (but which carried a lot of cargo) and it would usually still get where it was going. Viking ships were mostly built to travel the Baltic Sea and the Atlantic Ocean,

North Atlantic - there is a reason why the highest Plimsoll marking carries the WNA letters (Winter North Atlantic) 

> both of which are very rough, which means you need hardier ships. So they were smaller, with a lot less cargo space, but much sturdier and handled much better.
> 
> Of course, the important question is actually how sturdy the *Egyptian* boats were, because there are Egyptian mummies with traces of cocaine in them.

the wooden ships seems to be about as strudy as the early greek / romans one . .the payrus boats seem to be pretty strudy, as long as the payrus does not rot (see: Thor Heyerdahl, Ra 1 + 2)

servus

markus 
> 
> Beatrice Otter
> -- 
> Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to baur at chello.at
> Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
> http://lists.herald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold


More information about the Lois-Bujold mailing list