[LMB] [OT] Atlantic crossings, was Centrifugal gravity, was Re: Cordelia's College sport

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Jun 24 17:21:00 BST 2021

On 24/06/2021 03:17, Matthew George wrote:
> Mostly because of the *diseases*?  How well would the people of the
> Americas have fared, given how the Romans treated the nations surrounding
> them?

It would depend on the period of the Romans, right? The republic was not
the same as the later empire.

Oooh, I just got an idea for a alternate history setting: Mark Anthony
does not form an alliance with Octavian, but instead joins a bunch of
other citizens and their flotilla flees west, pursued by Octavian. The
flight takes them to Canary islands, where they take on provisions, and
head west. Octavian follows the coast of Africa and loses their trail.

After a very lucky journey, Mark Anthony hits the Bahamas, and goes
about building a new Rome (on Cuba? or on Florida?). They cooperate
better with the natives than Columbus did, partly because they don't
have prejudice against pagans, partly because they no longer have a
mother country which can send reinforcements. And they continue to
develop their civilization, without interference from Visigoths. They
expand over the continent and establish trade routes to Japan and China.

So, 1500 years later, when the spanish navigator comes to their shores,
he is met by steam-powered ships with SPQR written on the sides and
armed with rockets.