[LMB] OT: Damn, damn, damn!!

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Jun 24 22:47:48 BST 2021

On 6/24/21 1:15 PM, Harvey Fishman wrote:
> Windows 10 tells me that my computer is not suitable for Windows 11 but
> it will not tell me what is wrong!!!

Yes, that is pretty silly of it.

But, from what I have gathered, the things that are tripping up most
people's computers are UEFI and TPM 2.0.

If you have been upgrading your computer for a while, and/or copying an
image of an older hard drive, then it may be using the older DOS based
MBR partition layout. This would require your UEFI to use CSM and
probably disables Secure Boot.

You would need to convert to a UEFI Secure Boot process involving a
conversion from MBR to GPT and a bit of partition adjustment and install
new boot files. Or reinstall Windows in UEFI mode with CSM disabled and
Secure Boot enabled.

Another one is the TPM 2.0. Some machines only provide TPM 1.4 or don't
have any TPM at all. AMD Ryzen systems all have one built into the CPU
called the fTPM but the BIOS defaults it to disabled.

A third one only applies to very old graphics cards which cannot support
DirectX 12. With how hard it has been lately to get a new GPU some of
these older cards have been coming out of the closets and may cause the
health check to fail.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil