[LMB] [OT] Atlantic crossings etc.

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 05:43:39 BST 2021

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 07:36:37 +0200, markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:

> On 24.06.2021 06:53, Raymond Collins wrote:
>> If history is any indicator they would assimilate many of the native gods
>> into their pantheon. I'm uncertain about the more bloodthirsty gods from
>> South America.
> romans generally did not go for human sacrifice - and they might see
> those as a reincarnation of Baal (the main god of Carthage, which was
> accused of human / child sacrifice)
>
> so they might react badly to the mesoamerican religions..
They did have ritualised combat in the arena, which started as a sort of
sacrifice to accompany a distinguished notable to the afterlife by armed
attendants IIRC (see
https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=uhp_theses)
... but that degenerated into a blood sport by the late Republic. Some
of the Mesoamericans would have a ritualised combat sacrifice, arming
the victim with a wooden sword edged with feathers rather than obsidian
microblades. Or so I seem to recall.