[LMB] OT: IQ Tests

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 04:56:45 BST 2021

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 11:28 AM Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold <

> Personally, I have never taken an IQ test, and know enough about them to
> know that they are so much bullshit. (Nobody has yet managed to create a
> test doesn't test culture and class at least as much as it does
> intelligence--different cultures and different classes encourage and
> promote different sets of knowledge and types of problem-solving, which
> means that if the test you take is geared to your culture and experience,
> you'll do much better than if it isn't, and if you try to compare scores
> with someone from a different culture or class, there is no meaningful
> indication of which is smarter than the other.)

I have a heuristic:  the more all-encompassing and universal someone's
claims are, the more likely that they don't have the slightest idea what
they're talking about.

Your comments are to psychology as "Pandas and People" is to biology.  IQ
testing is quite reliable, there are tests that have virtually no
correlation with culture and class, and it's a bad idea to make technical
assertions about a field you know nothing about.

Matt "everyone thinks they're an expert" G.