[LMB] OT: Backups using My Book Live

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 16:20:28 BST 2021

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 8:38 AM Katherine (Kathy) Collett <
kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

> Yes.  As an archivist, I’m not happy with solutions that involve
> destroying the paper originals and rely on digitized copies stored …
> somewhere.  That said, one archival solution is LOCKSS — Lots Of Copies
> Keep Stuff Safe.  Store important things in many different places.

I hear you, and I love that acronym. As the owner of a Western Digital
external hard drive, this piece of news alarmed me. But mine is a much
newer HD, different model, not internet accessible. I'm a great one for
redundant backups, especially for irreplaceable things like family photos.

Footnote: in as much as it was practiced, partially and without
organization, the LOCKSS principle is why while the fall of Rome was
incredibly nasty for western civilization, it was not as bad as the various
Library of Alexandria fires. We're pretty sure. How would we know?

Louann