[LMB] OT: Rank(ed) Choice Voting -- including better ranked choice voting systems than NYC is using

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Tue Jun 29 20:15:34 BST 2021

 What you don't like, in fact, is Instant Runoff Voting (IRV), just one -- and in many ways the inferior one -- of the available ranked choice voting systems. Those pushing it, with almost cult-like intensity, have done their best to rebrand it as "ranked choice voting," period. In addition to the delays -- which result from IRV's need to have all the ballots in one central location before the key algorithm can be run -- IRV can have various perverse effects as far as how the result does and doesn't reflect voter preferences. Not to mention that it operates by throwing away voter preference information, which raises various policy and constitutional issues.
The one my better-informed husband advocates is traditionally called Condorcet, after its brilliant 18th-century founder, but can more usefully be called Instant Round Robin. It uses an identical ballot to IRV, but it (via computers, these days, but it can be done by hand with a matrix) compares the votes for each candidate in head-to-head matchups. There's no need for delays in counting, as local results can be compiled and then added, and absentee ballots can be added in when available.
Karen A. Wyle