[LMB] OT: Rank(ed) Choice Voting -- including better ranked choice voting systems than NYC is using

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Tue Jun 29 22:45:31 BST 2021

 If I understand (partially) how it works, more of the process could be completed, and with more likelihood of predicting the final results, before the absentee ballots show up if they weren't using this particular (IRV) voting system.
Karen
    On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 05:41:06 PM EDT, Katherine (Kathy) Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

 On Jun 29, 2021, at 3:15 PM, Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:

> What you don't like, in fact, is Instant Runoff Voting (IRV), <snip> …. In addition to the delays -- which result from IRV's need to have all the ballots in one central location before the key algorithm can be run ….

Perhaps, but it sounds like now the NYC mayoral election is mostly just waiting on the absentee ballots. They talk about the delays spurring possible distrust of the system, “even though the timeline for counting absentee ballots is not a function of the ranked-choice process."  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/nyregion/adams-garcia-wiley-mayor-ranked-choice.html

Katherine (way upstate, nowhere near the city, but interested nonetheless)
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to kawyle at att.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk