[LMB] OT: Rank(ed) Choice Voting.

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Tue Jun 29 23:28:47 BST 2021

 If a candidate in a multi-party race manages to get a majority, then yes, none of the special features of ranked choice voting would come into play.
I'm not sure what NYC did before adopting Instant Runoff Voting (IRV). They might have had a true runoff (second election), or declared the candidate with the most votes (plurality) the winner. A true runoff would very likely take longer (even longer), depending on how much time elapsed between the first election and the runoff. The advantage of an actual runoff is that the voters know who their choices are, in that second election, and deliberately vote for one of them. In IRV, the algorithm makes it much harder to predict how one's original ranking of candidates will translate into a result once the discard algorithm is applied.
Karen
    On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 06:19:27 PM EDT, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

 I’m wondering.  If there was a candidate with a majority, then the ranked-voting wouldn’t have even come into play, right?

If not, then was the old way for a run-off election?  Which would have taken much longer?