[LMB] OT: Rank(ed) Choice Voting.

Katherine (Kathy) Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Jun 29 23:45:28 BST 2021

On Jun 29, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:

> If a candidate in a multi-party race manages to get a majority, then yes, none of the special features of ranked choice voting would come into play.
> I'm not sure what NYC did before adopting Instant Runoff Voting (IRV). They might have had a true runoff (second election), or declared the candidate with the most votes (plurality) the winner. A true runoff would very likely take longer (even longer), depending on how much time elapsed between the first election and the runoff….

The other thing about runoff elections is that they are expensive (as are all elections), and take quite a while to arrange.  So yes, there would likely be much longer between the first election and the runoff than between the ranked-choice election and the results.  (I’m not sure either whether NYC would have had a plurality winner or a runoff previously — especially in a primary.)

Katherine