[LMB] OT: Roman religion

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Wed Jun 30 16:40:22 BST 2021

Somewhere upthread, someone made a comment that suggested the Roman
religious tolerance as making them like a secular state, which was most
definitely not the case.  Granted, "wildly superstitious" does not
exactly equate to our ideas of "pious". For a very good look at the
telling details I rec the Great Course "The Pagan World: Ancient
Religions Before Christianity" which has an extensive section on Roman
practices.  Also a lecturer with a rather self-consciously fruity
delivery, but once you get used to that the content is pretty good.

(I don't buy praise of Roman religion.  To my mind, the gladiatorial
games were a generations-long practice of human sacrifice on an
industrial scale in service to magically sustaining the state that put
the Aztecs to shame.)

Great Courses Plus, their streaming service/app which I recommend, has
recently rebranded itself "Wondrium", for reasons I wot not of.   The
classic courses including Stephen Ressler's excellent offerings are all
still there, but they've recently added a lot of more show-like material
and other content, so who knows.  Anyway, the site remains a good, and
extensive, mine of quality non-fictions vids.

Ta, L.