[LMB] Penric and the Blue Witch

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Tue May 11 14:50:27 BST 2021

[LMB] Penric and the Blue Witch
catherine muir c_muir68 at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 11:34:34 BST 2021

LMB:  Correct.  It was the first title for "Physicians" (after "Penric
9".)  It seemed plausible for a time, but Ron's rather
horror-movie-poster cover sat ill with the serious subject matter in
light of the rise of the pandemic around us.  Much frustrating futzing
with details in the art -- Ron put in a lot of work -- didn't address
the underlying problem of tone.  It did make me realize I needed to
change the title, as well as the cover image. That one would really have
started readers off on the wrong foot, as well as being a bit of a spoiler.

Ta, L.

CM:  Sounds like an alternate for The Physicians of Vilnoc.

Gordon Jackson:  I was looking at Ron Miller's website and I noticed a
cover for a novella
named "Penric and the Blue Witch". Does anyone know what this story is? Have
I missed an episode (I wish!) or is it an alternate name for one of the
existing novellas? Or what?