[LMB] Learned as title/style 2nd, full note

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed May 12 00:18:16 BST 2021

One syllable or two?

‘Wingèd Mercury, swift messenger of the Gods’

Or as

‘Red-winged blackbird’, which Garnet Rogers sees as harbinger of spring. At one local concert too many years ago, he asked the audience what meant spring had arrived for them. I piped up, Morris Dancing, at which he groaned.

Background: his brother Stan’s intro to his song “The Idiot”, which is written to a Morris dance rhythm, which he described as a knuckle-driven or -headed beat, to which grown men danced about waving hankies or bashing about with sticks.

I hated to tell him that there is a Morris Dance to that song, possibly ending (too many years) with
“I’m an idiot, I suppose!”. I don’t know if the Seabright Morris side (team, of Santa Cruz county) wrote the dance, or not, but I first saw it performed in the looong driveway of our Santa Cruz house at either 2000 or 2001 MayDay stop. I found it amusing that a side was able to dance in our long, not all that wide, galley kitchen.

A. Marina Fournier
saffronrose at me.com
Je persisterai quand même, car j’ais survécu d’être né
Valley of Heart’s Delight. CA
Sent from iFionnghuala