[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: category or genre of book that ...

Pouncer pouncer at aol.com
Wed May 12 01:46:26 BST 2021

I relay a question from a conversation, in hopes.

What word  describes the general kind of book or literature
for which I can only wave my hands and perhaps provide
a few examples?

This is a style of physical (dead tree) book that is
neglected among e-books.  Every page is densely graphical.
Intentionally set in non-standard lines.  Illustrated,
sometimes the hand-lettered text constrained in shapes
related to the concept being conveyed.  Often monochrome
but if so, usually NOT Black on White.

Ram Dass's  _Be Here Now_.  John Muir _How to Keep
Your Volkswagon Alive_.  At the edges of the category
might be Edward Tufte's _Visual Display of Quantitative
Information_.  'Zines and anthologies of zines.

A lot of the small- or self-published books in the
1970s and 80s were of this ... ilk?

Suggestions?

https://www.avg.com