[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: category or genre of book that ...

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed May 12 12:06:05 BST 2021

On Wed, 12 May 2021 00:33:26 -0500, Mark Allums <mark at allums.email>
wrote:

>On 5/11/2021 7:46 PM, Pouncer via Lois-Bujold wrote:
>> I relay a question from a conversation, in hopes.
>>
>> What word  describes the general kind of book or literature
>> for which I can only wave my hands and perhaps provide
>> a few examples?
>>
>> This is a style of physical (dead tree) book that is
>> neglected among e-books.  Every page is densely graphical.
>> Intentionally set in non-standard lines.  Illustrated,
>> sometimes the hand-lettered text constrained in shapes
>> related to the concept being conveyed.  Often monochrome
>> but if so, usually NOT Black on White.
>>
>> Ram Dass's  _Be Here Now_.  John Muir _How to Keep
>> Your Volkswagon Alive_.  At the edges of the category
>> might be Edward Tufte's _Visual Display of Quantitative
>> Information_.  'Zines and anthologies of zines.
>>
>> A lot of the small- or self-published books in the
>> 1970s and 80s were of this ... ilk?
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>Are you thinking of "trade"?  Large paperbacks are now referred to as
>"trade" books, but I think the word could apply to anything except
>mass-market paperbacks.

AIUI, "Trade" paperback are just a size category.  The size being "just
too big to fit on the shelves with the proper sized ones."

I believe they are a cynical attempt to get people to buy stuff twice:
the impatient will shell out for the "trade" version because they're
desperate to read it, and then donate it to a charity shop and buy the
rational-sized one for shelving.  Did it myself, too often, and then
Kindle came along.
--
An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys. - Richard Parker in urs.