[LMB] "Learned" as title/style

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed May 12 16:34:41 BST 2021

On Wed, 12 May 2021 08:48:48 -0400, Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm sorry to have to say that putting an accent on a vowel means nothing to
>me, doesn't help me AT ALL with pronunciation. (from this you'll probably
>glean, correctly, that I don't know French, or Spanish, or ... and
>therefore have no idea what accent marks do to the pronunciation.)
>
><tongue in cheek> one could describe the pronunciation as yelling at
>someone named Ed, "Learn, Ed!!!<tongue in cheek/>

Learnèd means that you pronounce the syllables separately.  It's gone
out of use in modern English, but Shakespeare wrote things like:
"This lanthorn doth the hornèd moon present ...", and the diacritical
mark tells us it's pronounced as "horn-Ed", both for euphony and for
scansion.
--
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity,
nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor