[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: category or genre of book that ...

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 17:06:02 BST 2021

WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> I remember a book with strange type settings such as spiral, loops, and
> zigzag. I remember very little else about it, including the title or
> author. It was supposed to be avant-garde but I found it hard to read
> and, to me, pretentious. Of course, that could be silly me not being
> able to appreciate great art.

There's what W'pedia refers to as "concrete poetry" AKA "visual
poem" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_poetry),
and TvTropes as "Painting the Medium"
(https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PaintingTheMedium),
which are not quite the same thing as each other.  Genre examples are
"The Mouse's Tale" from _Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_, and parts
of Bester's _The Demolished Man_ and _Tiger Tiger_ / _The Stars My
Destination_.

Joel