[LMB] Steggy!

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 17:11:12 BST 2021

From: Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>

This makes me wonder at what level of pack ratisness Emperor's and royal
families are. I have a coffee table book on the British royal family's
collection of art, clocks and stuff. Of course there is the famous attic in
Miles' house.

Gwynne: I don't think it's packratishness exactly; it just doesn't occur to them
to throw things away. (Let's face it, they have the space for it.) In the UK, one
of the most dismissive comments about a social climber is, "He bought his
furniture." Because you don't, if you're U. You inherit it, from the generations
before you, and you use it until it's well past usefulness. And you replace it
piece by piece, not a whole houseful of new furniture like the nouveau riche.
So they keep what they have, adding interesting new pieces to the collection
when something takes their fancy. Older pieces are rotated to less-used rooms,
and eventually the attics.

Also, there's the feeling that most of it isn't theirs - the opposite of packrats.
When you inherit your palace, you know you're only one in a long line before
and after you. It's yours, but it also belongs to the lineage. Packrats are
terrifyingly territorial about their stuff. And it's THEIRS.