[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Wed May 12 17:28:35 BST 2021

I have Calibre on a Windows 10 machine, with the latest iteration of the Apprentice Alf tools. There are two problems that I think are most likely to be involved if you're having problems.

1) you have to open it in the merchant's own app at least once before loading it into Calibre. For Amazon, this is Kindle-for-PC or Kindle-for-Mac.

2) Merchants are constantly updating their encryption which means the tools need to be updated to be able to crack it. You may need to update your de-drm plugin. You can find the latest version here: https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2021/04/11/dedrm-tools-7-2-1-released/

But just checking, it looks like the newest iteration of the tools works for even the most recent kindle for PC version! Hooray, it was inconvenient to have to maintain an older installation of the app. Every so often, despite me telling it NOT to update, it would do so automatically, and I would have to delete it and re-install the old version.

---- On Wed, 12 May 2021 05:42:36 -0700 Fred <mailto:fred.fredex at gmail.com> wrote ----

Howard, Calibre with DeDrm does DRM removal on IMPORT, not conversion.

I imported the book when purchased it last night and it is fine for me.
Note that I'm still using Calibre 3.x with an appropriate version of DeDrm,
NOT latest. (I'm on an old version of LInux, and Calibre 4.x or later do
not run on this version, so I can't update Calibre until I upgrade my
Linux.)

If you're still having trouble, you should do a post at the appropriate
place (Apprentice Harper's blog?? I think it's Harper...)

Fred