[LMB] DRM?

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Thu May 13 18:22:35 BST 2021

------ Original Message ------
From: "WalterStuartBushell" <proto at panix.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 5/13/2021 12:03:17 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] DRM?

>>  On May 13, 2021, at 9:15 AM, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:The Kindle app on the Mac is unstable and has to be frequently reloaded.
>>

>>  As a practical matter, why should I worry about DRM? I read on 1.5 devices (my Kindle and VERY occasionally on the PC). I do not lend or give away books. My Kindle has plenty of storage (32 GB.) so I am not too worried about running out of room, and in any case there is the PC for backup with terabytes  of storage space. I do not see any advantages to me for removing DRM other than as an intellectual exercise that frankly I am just too damned lazy to engage in. Comments, please.
>>
>>  Harvey
>>

>The Kindle app on the Mac is unstable and has to be reloaded frequently, very annoying. And Amazon might discontinue
>access anytime, like Microsoft did with “Plays for Sure”.

I do not, and never have, used a Mac. I read 99% of the time on my
Kindle Oasis and very occasionally on my PC. If Amazon ever stops
supporting the Oasis, I strongly suspect that that will be extremely
actionable, so I sincerely doubt that they will do that. I have no need
for DRM nor any strong reason for spending the effort to remove it.

Harvey