[LMB] OT: Ransomware.

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Fri May 14 08:07:15 BST 2021

On 14/05/2021 02:44, Harvey Fishman wrote:
> I do not understand this. Aren't the systems constantly backed up so
> that they could be scrubbed and the data restored?

Depends on how much knowledge and budget power their CIO (if they have
one), or their head sysadmin have.

A lot of smaller companies outsource their IT to the lowest bidder. Of
those that don't, a distressing number think that if they have RAID,
they don't need backup. RAID, of course, does nothing to protect you
against ransomware.

Some of the ransomware companies seem to sniff around the network,
infecting things and downloading information for weeks to months. That
means at least the company's first level of backups is compromised. The
strategies for having long-term, layered backups are well known, but
when the word from the board is to concentrate on cost cutting, people
cut corners.

Especially in companies where IT is considered a cost center (a
department that produces costs, not income), the pressure to cut costs
is always present. And because backup is not visible in everyday
operations, it is often the first thing where cuts are made.