[LMB] "Learned" as title/style

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri May 14 09:15:22 BST 2021

On Wed, 12 May 2021 12:13:06 -0500, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On* Rumpole of the Bailey,* ISTR the barristers would refer to one another
>in court as "my learned friend," no matter what idiots they thought the
>other barristers were.

It's a convention, similar to the one that obliges parliamentarians to
refer to people they despise as "honourable".

Similarly (and I think Rumpole alludes to this in one of the stories),
there are three escalating insults that can be offered by a barrister to
the judge:

"With respect" - you're wrong.
"With great respect" - you're wrong, and an idiot for not realising it.
"With the greatest possible respect" - how on earth did you get to be a
judge?
--
Make headphone wires out of shoelaces and shoelaces out of old
headphone wires.  That way your headphones will always untie