[LMB] DRM?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri May 14 09:25:50 BST 2021

On Thu, 13 May 2021 13:15:10 +0000, "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com>
wrote:

>As a practical matter, why should I worry about DRM? I read on 1.5
>devices (my Kindle and VERY occasionally on the PC). I do not lend or
>give away books. My Kindle has plenty of storage (32 GB.) so I am not
>too worried about running out of room, and in any case there is the PC
>for backup with terabytes  of storage space. I do not see any advantages
>to me for removing DRM other than as an intellectual exercise that
>frankly I am just too damned lazy to engage in. Comments, please.

I'm against it for largely reasons of principle; the producers of media
are aiming for a world where we own nothing and what we have can be
arbitrarily taken from us.

I have probably spend tens of thousands on electronic media; on my
death, if my Amazon account is deleted, that will all just vanish into
the ether.

Except that it's all backed up in Calibre, so e.g. my daughter can read
it, should she so desire.
--
"So overall I don't think either you or I got it right, which is
still doing better than average for a Usenet exchange"