[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri May 14 09:32:46 BST 2021

On Wed, 12 May 2021 09:28:35 -0700, Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>1) you have to open it in the merchant's own app at least once before loading it into Calibre. For Amazon, this is Kindle-for-PC or Kindle-for-Mac.

If you go into your Amazon account and "sideload" it (i.e. download to
PC to load into a nominated device) you get a different format than the
one automatically downloaded to the device.  Importing this to Calibre
runs the de-DRM successfully without even opening it.

My account still has an old keyboard Kindle registered to it that I've
not used for years (I'm not even sure where it is) - I use this as the
nominated device so that they send the simplest possible version.

--
"So overall I don't think either you or I got it right, which is
still doing better than average for a Usenet exchange"