[LMB] DRM?

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Fri May 14 15:48:41 BST 2021

------ Original Message ------
From: "Marc Wilson" <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
To: "LMB" <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 5/14/2021 4:27:04 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] DRM?

>On Thu, 13 May 2021 17:22:35 +0000, "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com>
>wrote:
>>I do not, and never have, used a Mac. I read 99% of the time on my
>>Kindle Oasis and very occasionally on my PC. If Amazon ever stops
>>supporting the Oasis, I strongly suspect that that will be extremely
>>actionable, so I sincerely doubt that they will do that. I have no need
>>for DRM nor any strong reason for spending the effort to remove it.
>
>The "effort" is minimal.
>--
>"So overall I don't think either you or I got it right, which is
>still doing better than average for a Usenet exchange"
>   - J Nebus, rasfw

Not really. First I have to configure calibre to remove DRM, which I
admit is a one time task.

But then on a continuing basis I must download each book twice; first,
and automatically, to the Kindle. Then I must selectively download it to
the computer and then move it into calibre. That's a lot of work when I
just want to go and read the book.

Harvey