[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon May 17 02:07:22 BST 2021

On May 16, 2021, at 5:44 PM, Margaret via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> LMB always asks for people to report typos, so here are the ones I found. Page numbers are as shown in Kindle for PC.
>
> p. 10: "ill-at-ease" shouldn't be hyphenated

Yeah, I would only hyphenate the phrase as adjective before a noun: "the ill-at-ease visitor", for instance, which is not how it's used here.

I agree with some of your points, but quibble with a few.

> p. 11: "bur" should be "burr"

Both are in wide use.

> pp. 14, 137: "woah" is usually spelled "whoa"

Eh, probably regional, and likely not set in stone for an exclamation like this.  Reminds me of a discussion I recently had with friends about whether one should write oops, whoops, or woops.  (Inconclusive.)

> p. 49: "I thought so?"   Should that be a question mark or just a period?

Question mark goes with Alixtra's tentativeness at this point.

I found one more probable typo -- when the puppy is fetching sticks, the next sentence (p. 224) reads "When it was older, it would doubtless fetch entire legs." -- I'm assuming that should be logs?!   Unless, of course, legs, possibly with would-be assassins attached, is in fact meant.

Katherine