[LMB] Discon III

Doug Weinfield douglasw at his.com
Wed May 19 02:44:25 BST 2021


James,

In case my other my other emails went astray, I will be delighted to accept your kind and generous offer of the membership for the world science-fiction convention.

Much thanks.

Doug Weinfield

> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:38:41 +0100
> From: "James M. BRYANT G4CLF" <james at jbryant.eu>
> To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
> Subject: [LMB] Discon III
> Message-ID: <202105181439.14IEd3aF029580 at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
> 
> This year's WorldCon, Discon III, has changed its dates to
> the 15-19 December, which makes it impossible for me to attend
> either in person or virtually.
> 
> Would any list member like to use my attending membership?
> 
> I am not asking for any payment but I'll accept a beer if we
> meet at some future WorldCon. Contact me by email before 1st
> June (it'll be given to Capitalize! if it's not gone on the
> 2nd).
> 
> James 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 12:00:38 -0400
> From: Elizabeth <ladylyzbeth at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Subject: [LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos
> Message-ID:
>    <CA+U4zk3hq6m6qnQzR-N1X=F35raNCvC276s2pN8njGjarDXDTQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> This isn't exactly a tyoo, but there was a mention of the ports of Grabyat.
> Looking at the map we have of this world, Grabyat is landlocked. Is the map
> wrong or am I missing something?
> 
> ~~~ *Elizabeth W        *Worrying about something that may never happen is
> like paying interest on money you may never borrow.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 11:08:55 -0500
> From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
> To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
>    <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos
> Message-ID:
>    <CAO7QBz92sy0G4=E_ztD3+62w3uE7Up4_C-SCj-RQyAwrLVoOeA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> When I saw that name, I had to smile.  AIUI, "Grabyat" in Russian means
> something like "We are being robbed!"  Wouldn't naming a commercial port
> that be something like calling your store the "Caveat Emptorium?"
> 
>> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:06 AM Elizabeth <ladylyzbeth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>> This isn't exactly a tyoo, but there was a mention of the ports of Grabyat.
>> Looking at the map we have of this world, Grabyat is landlocked. Is the map
>> wrong or am I missing something?
>> 
>> ~~~ *Elizabeth W        *Worrying about something that may never happen is
>> like paying interest on money you may never borrow.
>> --
>> Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to ravenclaweric at gmail.com
>> Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
>> http://lists.herald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold
>> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 13:22:48 -0500
> From: Lois Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
> To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
> Subject: [LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos
> Message-ID: <c44dab86-32f9-05e7-6617-0a0e45604461 at myinfmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
> 
> [LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos
> Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
> Tue May 18 17:08:55 BST 2021
> 
> 
> EO:? When I saw that name, I had to smile.? AIUI, "Grabyat" in Russian means
> something like "We are being robbed!"? Wouldn't naming a commercial port
> that be something like calling your store the "Caveat Emptorium?"
> 
> 
> LMB:? Heh.? I totally made it up for the sound of it, starting from 
> another substrate entirely (syllable salad of town names from a map of 
> the Balkans), so that's a coincidence.? (Like "Vor".)
> 
> 
> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:06 AM Elizabeth <ladylyzbeth at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Elizabeth W:? This isn't exactly a tyoo, but there was a mention of the 
> ports of Grabyat.
>> Looking at the map we have of this world, Grabyat is landlocked. Is 
> the map
>> wrong or am I missing something?
> 
> 
> LMB:? I don't think I've extended the map out that far, although others 
> may have.? My geography isn't set until a story passes through it, 
> usually.? If Pen ever goes west into Rusylli territory, we may learn 
> more together.
> 
> Ta, L.
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 14:33:51 -0400
> From: Elizabeth <ladylyzbeth at gmail.com>
> To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
>    <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos
> Message-ID:
>    <CA+U4zk0VpDq_eFw0bvRUHx5RKfvg41JWGDej3QMxYVRSjiN7NA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> Thanks! That works for me.
> 
> Elizabeth W
> 
>> On Tue, May 18, 2021, 2:24 PM Lois Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>> [LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos
>> Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
>> Tue May 18 17:08:55 BST 2021
>> 
>> 
>> EO:  When I saw that name, I had to smile.  AIUI, "Grabyat" in Russian
>> means
>> something like "We are being robbed!"  Wouldn't naming a commercial port
>> that be something like calling your store the "Caveat Emptorium?"
>> 
>> 
>> LMB:  Heh.  I totally made it up for the sound of it, starting from
>> another substrate entirely (syllable salad of town names from a map of
>> the Balkans), so that's a coincidence.  (Like "Vor".)
>> 
>> 
>> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:06 AM Elizabeth <ladylyzbeth at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> 
>> Elizabeth W:  This isn't exactly a tyoo, but there was a mention of the
>> ports of Grabyat.
>>> Looking at the map we have of this world, Grabyat is landlocked. Is
>> the map
>>> wrong or am I missing something?
>> 
>> 
>> LMB:  I don't think I've extended the map out that far, although others
>> may have.  My geography isn't set until a story passes through it,
>> usually.  If Pen ever goes west into Rusylli territory, we may learn
>> more together.
>> 
>> Ta, L.
>> 
>> --
>> Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to ladylyzbeth at gmail.com
>> Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
>> http://lists.herald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold
>> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 00:33:01 +0100
> From: Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
> To: LMB <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos
> Message-ID: <rgj8aglhf6qd1mvhd5gnpjvgo0fdmkammq at 4ax.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> 
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:00:38 -0400, Elizabeth <ladylyzbeth at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> This isn't exactly a tyoo, but there was a mention of the ports of Grabyat.
>> Looking at the map we have of this world, Grabyat is landlocked. Is the map
>> wrong or am I missing something?
> 
> The Port of Manchester is around 25 miles inland.  Victorians didn't let
> minor inconveniences like that get in their way.
> --
> When I was young I observed that nine out of every ten things I did were failures,
> so I did ten times more work.  - George Bernard Shaw
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 00:33:41 +0100
> From: Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
> To: LMB <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos
> Message-ID: <plj8agldal037gj0smq6hj4u61q0n404va at 4ax.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> 
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:00:38 -0400, Elizabeth <ladylyzbeth at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> *Worrying about something that may never happen is
>> like paying interest on money you may never borrow.
> 
> "Worry is a dividend paid to disorder before it is due" - Ian Fleming.
> --
> When I was young I observed that nine out of every ten things I did were failures,
> so I did ten times more work.  - George Bernard Shaw
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 19:34:01 -0500
> From: Louann Miller <domelouann at gmail.com>
> To: BUJOLD list <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
> Subject: [LMB] OT: Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
> Message-ID:
>    <CAGqU+dhsa-dN-1yA==d3T7q4nB3fb_b3mfjyGNnfS2jar_r5wQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> No spoilers, but I finished it in two days. A great combination of hardcore
> science-ing the sh*t out of a series of technical problems and the
> essentials of what makes a moral sentient being. I'm not sure our species
> deserves the high opinion Andy Weir has of us, but I hope we keep trying.
> 
> Louann
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> -- 
> Lois-Bujold mailing list
> Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
> http://lists.herald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 192, Issue 54
> ********************************************


More information about the Lois-Bujold mailing list