[LMB] OT: Gardening

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Wed May 19 03:23:09 BST 2021

I started gardening last year, something I haven't done since I was a
teenager, and that was a long time ago. It seemed like a good kind of thing
to do with COVID around us. I had very little idea of what I was doing or
how to do it, so last year was mostly devoted to weeding, pruning, and
nurturing a tiny herb patch. And in the autumn, I planted bulbs, fought
with the squirrels over their safety, and was thrilled this spring to see
the tulips appear, all colourful and lovely.

I failed to do a lot of the diligent research I had planned over the
winter, and now I'm struggling to keep up with the season. I'm guessing at
things, and I'm guessing wrong. I planted a bunch of seeds in egg cartons
and set them in the laundry room to hopefully be ready for planting in a
while - and watered them. Just learned today (via YouTube) that I shouldn't
be watering seedlings, because it rots them.

And I planted some tomato plants, brought to me by a very kind friend. And
then I put the sprinkler on to water them, and learned today, on another
YouTube vid, that one shouldn't use a sprinkler with tomato plants, but
water only at ground level, and not get the leaves wet.  Am I doomed to
always guess wrong?

Rhetorical question, that.  It's so complicated. Ever plant has its own
needs and vulnerabilities, and right now it all seems infinite.

I wish I had Ekaterin for advice.

Failing that, can any of the well-informed people here suggest a book, or a
YouTube channel, or other resources, that give good advice to a fledgeling
gardener? (Bonus pints if it relates to zone 5, Eastern Ontario.) Best I
can say so far is that my intentions are good.

namaste,
Elizabeth