[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Wed May 19 04:30:18 BST 2021

---- On Tue, 18 May 2021 16:33:01 -0700 Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote ----

On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:00:38 -0400, Elizabeth <mailto:ladylyzbeth at gmail.com>
wrote:

>This isn't exactly a tyoo, but there was a mention of the ports of Grabyat.
>Looking at the map we have of this world, Grabyat is landlocked. Is the map
>wrong or am I missing something?

The Port of Manchester is around 25 miles inland.  Victorians didn't let
minor inconveniences like that get in their way.

Beatrice Otter:

Portland is about 90 miles from the ocean. It is literally named as a port, and it's not even the furthest up the Columbia River that ocean-going cargo ships come. It is far bigger than the ports dotted along the Columbia River between it and the ocean. You can have major port cities a long way inland, if the river is deep and wide enough. It's cheaper to ship things as far upriver as you can and *then* unload them than it is to unload them at the coast and ship inland by land.

Grabyat can be a major port even in the middle of a continent, if it's on a big enough river.

Beatrice Otter