[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Wed May 19 05:57:27 BST 2021

Consider the Rhine and Rhone rivers; they reach into the core of Europe.

As a bit of humor, there are proposals to channeling the Trinity River all the way to Fort Worth... not that the watershed that feeds the river can supply the water to keep a canoe aflote in the middle of the summer....

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 10:48 PM, Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:   ---- On Tue, 18 May 2021 16:33:01 -0700 Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote ----

On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:00:38 -0400, Elizabeth <mailto:ladylyzbeth at gmail.com>
wrote:

>This isn't exactly a tyoo, but there was a mention of the ports of Grabyat.
>Looking at the map we have of this world, Grabyat is landlocked. Is the map
>wrong or am I missing something?

The Port of Manchester is around 25 miles inland.  Victorians didn't let
minor inconveniences like that get in their way.

Beatrice Otter:

Portland is about 90 miles from the ocean. It is literally named as a port, and it's not even the furthest up the Columbia River that ocean-going cargo ships come. It is far bigger than the ports dotted along the Columbia River between it and the ocean. You can have major port cities a long way inland, if the river is deep and wide enough. It's cheaper to ship things as far upriver as you can and *then* unload them than it is to unload them at the coast and ship inland by land.

Grabyat can be a major port even in the middle of a continent, if it's on a big enough river.

Beatrice Otter
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to rgmolpus at flash.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk