[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed May 19 17:24:04 BST 2021

On Tue, 18 May 2021 20:30:18 -0700, Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>---- On Tue, 18 May 2021 16:33:01 -0700 Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote ----
>

>On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:00:38 -0400, Elizabeth <mailto:ladylyzbeth at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>This isn't exactly a tyoo, but there was a mention of the ports of Grabyat.
>>Looking at the map we have of this world, Grabyat is landlocked. Is the map
>>wrong or am I missing something?
>
>The Port of Manchester is around 25 miles inland.  Victorians didn't let
>minor inconveniences like that get in their way.
>

>Beatrice Otter:
>
>Portland is about 90 miles from the ocean. It is literally named as a port, and it's not even the furthest up the Columbia River that ocean-going cargo ships come. It is far bigger than the ports dotted along the Columbia River between it and the ocean. You can have major port cities a long way inland, if the river is deep and
wide enough. It's cheaper to ship things as far upriver as you can and *then* unload them than it is to unload them at the coast and ship inland by land.

Manchester *wasn't* on a big enough river.

So they made one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Ship_Canal
--
Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple. Sense doesn’t come into it.
People are more scared of how complicated shit actually is than they