[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos

Lois Aleta Fundis loisaletafundis at gmail.com
Wed May 19 18:18:37 BST 2021

There are plenty of inland ports in the world, because a lot of things that
are produced or mined in central parts of a country (or continent or
whatever) can travel by rivers.

Pittsburgh, near or even in which I have lived nearly all my life, although
very much inland, is considered an important port, because materials (coal
and steel being the traditional major products of our region) travel by
river barges -- and Pittsburgh has three rivers (!!!): the Allegheny and
the Monongahela meet in Pittsburgh to form the Ohio River, which flows for
nine hundred miles until it gets to the Mississippi, which of course flows
to the Gulf of Mexico. Tons and tons of coal travel north on barges along
the Monongahela River from West Virginia and southwestern Pennsylvania to
the steel mills in Pittsburgh ("downriver" in my neck of the woods often
means "north", the rivers wind around so much, but it's still  "down"
because it's the altitude of the river surfaces and lands around them allow
the water in a river to flow from higher altitudes to lower altitudes.
Water does not need compasses; it goes by levels.

Look up "rivers that flow north" on a search engine near you for many more
examples. Years ago I compiled a webpage on this subject myself, and its
most recent version is at
https://sites.google.com/site/lfundisriversnorth/rivers-that-flow-north,
but just now when I searched for that title I found lots more sites on this
subject besides mine. (I also discovered that I have apparently got caught
up in the battle of search engines: since mine is now a Google site, it
didn't come up near the top on DuckDuckGo's list.)

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:52 PM Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold <