[LMB] Rivers, ports, was The Assassins of Thasalon -- typos

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Wed May 19 20:45:37 BST 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 1:25 PM Lois Aleta Fundis <loisaletafundis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ...  Pittsburgh has three rivers (!!!): the Allegheny and
> the Monongahela meet in Pittsburgh to form the Ohio River,... Tons and
> tons of coal travel north on barges along
> the Monongahela River from West Virginia and southwestern Pennsylvania to
> the steel mills in Pittsburgh ("downriver" in my neck of the woods often
> means "north", the rivers wind around so much, but it's still  "down"
> because it's the altitude of the river surfaces and lands around them allow
> the water in a river to flow from higher altitudes to lower altitudes.
> Water does not need compasses; it goes by levels.

Any port in a storm, but make mine a scotch.

I looked up the Pittsburgh rivers one time, and it really weirded me out -
rivers are NOT SUPPOSED to loop uphill like that.
Took a while to find a good topography map, which clearly showed that the
river is flowing up north, but not uphill.
google satellite view is too cluttered.

Sylvia