[LMB] OT: whiskey / maps was Re: Rivers, ports

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu May 20 01:30:05 BST 2021

On Wed, 19 May 2021, A. Marina Fournier via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> There are Islay singlemalts matured in port casks . . .I wasn’t thrilled
> with Finlaggan, but other Islay malts are just fine with me. Made a
> Pilgrimage to Laphroaig (as opposed to a Tango to Evora) in 1987, before
> the WorldCon in Brighton, and I would love to go to a Feis Ile some year
> and get to taste more of the island’s whiskies in a shorter period of
> time.

I recently finished a mystery by Deborah Crombie in her Duncan Kincaid /
Gemma James series (Book 9) called _Now May You Weep_ -- much of which is
set in or near a small Highlands distillery. Not one of her strongest, but
the whiskey lore was quite interesting (although I don't drink the stuff.)

> Just look at the Nile. Amazing river on a map.The topography of
> Pittsburgh is such that you really do need a map or a native guide—worse
> than looking at a street map of of San Francisco which doesn’t show you
> the HILLS in the gridded streets.

When we were in SF a number of years ago, we used the local bike map,
which does show street steepness, in colours rangng from white to pink to
red. Very useful for walking, too.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor