[LMB] OT: Gardening

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri May 21 17:39:31 BST 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:51 PM Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Watering seedlings is fine - they'll die without water - but there is an
> infectious disease called "damping off", associated with very moist soil,
> that causes seedlings to rot at the soil line.

I have had lots of luck in planting beet toppings.  Cut off the top when I
cook the beets, and just put the top in a plate of water for a week or two.
When it starts to sprout, put it into a flowerpot.

I don't actually grow beets, but I have lovely red-veined dark green leaves
on my windowsill.
Plant an onion top, and eat the scallions. Yum.

Carrot tops go to seed & grow too frothy for a windowsill.
Planting a horseradish top in a big bucket of soil has yielded an abundance
of leaves for several years.  This is the first year that I've got white
flowers from that planting... maybe 7 years ago?