[LMB] OT: Gardening

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sat May 22 02:00:44 BST 2021

On May 19, 2021, at 10:06 AM, quietann <quietann at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Elizabeth: I planted a bunch of seeds in egg cartons
>> and set them in the laundry room to hopefully be ready for planting in a
>> while - and watered them. Just learned today (via YouTube) that I shouldn't
>> be watering seedlings, because it rots them.
>>

> Um, no. Seedlings need to be watered but not overwatered. It may be a bit
> difficult with tiny containers like egg cartons. Do yours have a hole in
> the bottom so excess water runs out?

Yes, seeds need to be watered to sprout, and if they dry out, they die.  Of course, if they drown they die, too.

> I start things that are easily transplanted like tomatoes, peppers, and
> eggplants in small peat containers that kind of look like egg cartons. Then
> sometime between when the first and third set of true leaves appear, I
> transplant them into 3 or 4 inch peat pots. The peat pots are single use,
> but can be composted.

I just this spring learned that harvesting peat moss (used to make those peat containers) is terrible for the environment; see http://gardenrant.com/2009/04/ken-druse-dishes-the-dirt-about-peat-moss.html

And this website seems conflicted about using peat pots or not: https://plantcaretoday.com/peat-pots-alternatives.html  -- but it does give a bunch of alternatives.

Katherine